Since our last regular newsletter, STF has shared announcements about three open source infrastructure technologies that we are commissioning work on. We are excited to be investing and working — in some cases again — with these maintainers and FOSS communities. If you’d like to find out about these updates as they happen, you can find the Sovereign Tech Fund on Twitter, Mastodon, and LinkedIn.
Package management for Ruby, a popular programming language.
Creating flexible, custom operating systems for embedded and IoT device.
Secure communication, signatures and authentication, in Rust.
Part of the STF mission is to increase awareness of how essential open source digital technologies are to many aspect of our lives. In the past few months, STF team members have attended and spoken at events around the world.
Watch the Recordings
- Open Source Summit EU Keynote in Bilbao, Spain (Fiona Krakenbürger & Tara Tarakiyee)
- “State of Sustainability” panel discussion online (Fiona Krakenbürger)
- “Creating digital public infrastructure that empowers people” at Internet Governance Forum 2023 in Kyoto, Japan (Adriana Groh)
- Bitkom Open Source Forum in Erfurt, Germany (Mirko Swillus)
- Tectonics in San Francisco, USA (Fiona Krakenbürger & Powen Shiah)
- Internet Engineering Task Force 118 in Prague, Czechia (Tara Tarakiyee)
- Packaging Con in Berlin, Germany (Abigail Garner)
- ICANN78 in Hamburg, Germany (Tara Tarakiyee)
- GitHub Universe in San Francisco, USA (Powen Shiah)
- Mercedes Benz FOSS Convention in Stuttgart, Germany (Mirko Swillus)
The projects and technologies in which STF invests sometimes share updates about the work they’re accomplishing with our support. Hear from the FOSS maintainers and communities directly:
- Apache Airflow: https://news.apache.org/foundation/entry/strengthening-security-for-apache-airflow
- Haskell Cabal: https://www.well-typed.com/blog/2023/10/sovereign-tech-fund-invests-in-cabal/
- nixpkgs: https://discourse.nixos.org/t/nixpkgs-supply-chain-security-project/34345
- Open Web Docs: https://openwebdocs.org/content/posts/sovereign-tech-fund/
- p5.js https://medium.com/@ProcessingOrg/p5-js-receives-major-funding-from-the-sovereign-tech-fund-bbf61d1171fe
- Pendulum: https://tweedegolf.nl/en/blog/102/first-stable-release-of-ntpdrs
- RubyGems & Bundler: https://rubycentral.org/news/stf-announce/
- Rusty SBOMs: https://stackable.tech/en/empowering-rust-projects/
- Yocto Project: https://yoctoproject.org/blog/2023/10/10/sovereign-tech-fund-boosts-yocto-project/